The Catalog of U.S. Government Publications has a preset Ebola search that will be updated as new materials become available. Most are available online.
Does it seem as though the number of active shooter incidents is rising? Especially after the Sept. 23, 2014 UPS workplace shooting here in Birmingham, AL. The FBI just released A Study of Active Shooter Incidents in the United States Between 2000 and 2013. If you download the actual study, a snapshot begins on page 6. We found the data on page 14 interesting. The FBI blog, Stories, has a post on the study with a few graphics.
With the large number of minors seeking asylum in the U.S. from Central America, we thought we’d pull together some resources about the immigration situation.
- Southwest Border Unaccompanied Alien Children (CBP)
- July 9, 2014 Statement by the President on Immigration in Dallas, TX (White House)
- Letter from the President — Regarding Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Request to Address the Increase in Child and Adult Migration from Central America in the Rio Grande Valley Areas of the Southwest Border; and Wildfire Suppression (White House)
- FACT SHEET: Emergency Supplemental Request to Address the Increase in Child and Adult Migration from Central America in the Rio Grande Valley Areas of the Southwest Border (White House)
- Detention Management (ICE)
- Detention Facilities (ICE)
- Minor Children Applying for Asylum By Themselves (USCIS)
- Written testimony of CBP Rio Grande Valley Sector Chief Patrol Agent Kevin Oaks for a House Committee on Homeland Security hearing titled “Crisis on the Texas Border: Surge of Unaccompanied Minors” (DHS)
It’s the 4th of July and it’s time to have fun, food, & fireworks! Be safe and make good decisions. See you all next week.
July 2nd is the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. GPO has made the original act signed by President Johnson available on FDsys.
Use Find Food from the National Hunger Clearinghouse to find free sites throughout the nation for summer meals.
If you live in Alabama, also check Summer Feeding Participants from the Child Nutrition Program within the Alabama Department of Education. Sites are still being added so check back often if you don’t find a site near you.
If you live in a different state, check your state’s Department of Education for additional information or sites.