Our experiences with the light dusting (ice & snow) from last week has made us realize that we need an emergency kit for work. A few of us spent 2 nights in the library which made us think about the items we regularly keep here and what we need to add for the next time. We thought we’d share our list:
- Food – keep shelf stable food (snacks, meals, & drinks/water) in your office. What you keep will depend upon your access to a microwave or whatever is available. Consider tea bags, instant coffee, or even hot chocolate. Popcorn is great because someone you’re stranded with might have an online subscription to Netflix.
- Phone/Tablet/Laptop chargers
- Medicines – daily meds & pain reliever
- Clothing – our campus bookstore opened just for folks to purchase toiletries, food items, & sweats/t-shirts. Think about keeping a extra clothing, socks, & shoes at work.
- Detergent – if you don’t have extra clothing then you will at least be able to wash your undergarments in the sink.
- Toiletries – think gym bag items. Soap, shampoo, conditioner, a comb or brush. Add lotion, hair product, maybe a small hairdryer. Don’t forget toothpaste & a toothbrush along with dental floss. And moisturizer, makeup, & whatever else you might need for your face.
- Some random things are chocolate, a can of soup, a headband, lint roller, nail clippers & file, stain wipes, lip balm, nail polish remover, contact lens supplies, sewing kit, fleece blanket or sleeping bag, & a small pillow.
Remember, these are items to keep at work. Find lists of items to keep in your vehicle & at home at Ready.gov.
We’d like to thank Emily Allee for sharing her list.